4/9/11

H: HowChow

H is for HowChow.


This might come as a shock, but I love food


Fortunately, the HoCo has a growing food blogger scene. And there's a comprehensive resource for quality, unique eats in Howard County - not just places to go, but also unique markets or unusual (to me) grocery items. That's HowChow.


The content is interesting and informative. It pushes me out of my comfort zone. On top of that, HowChow hosts guest posts, interviews, and links often to community food bloggers, making the whole scene that much richer.


Recently, I started planning a monthly "Restaurant Stop" for a HoCo Social group, many of whom are transplants to the area - and who wanted to learn about HoCo through its HoCo-specific restaurants, not monthly dinners at places like Friday's or Carraba's. Some of the places I've chosen were based on HowChow's posts, and when I linked back to them, people noticed the "food tours" and got excited. There's now talk of wandering some of these routes when the weather turns nice for good.


But it's not only restaurant reviews. When a food establishment shuts down or is promised, it's mentioned. The bigger picture of food as it relates to our community is not neglected.


And in the end, all of these things make HowChow a great resource


Food is elemental to community and identity - whether it's comfort food, or food that helps expand one's horizons. I truly believe that food can create connections between people with different backgrounds and life experiences, better than most other conventions. 


Howard County is diverse community, and though it can be hard to see past the big chain restaurants, that diversity is reflected in its food. HoCo residents should be proud of that. When guests come from out of town, I want to pick places that show how unique (and delicious) Howard County can be. Blogs like HowChow help me do that.


To get a taste of HoCoFood (haha, see what I did there?) check out some of these recent posts:




H is for HowChow, a blog that points people toward tasty treats in the HoCo.





------

This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. (hocofood@@@) Click on The Link for more info and other participating blogs!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for highlighting another useful food blog. I'll go over and check out HowChow to find out if I can pick up some really cool recipes to try.

    The Madlab Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got me with the Watermellon Radish link. We will have to make a trip out to Mom's market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Food is elemental to community and identity" Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool blog! I found you through the A to Z challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great resource! And the crab season has started - yum! Wish I were there ;)

    ReplyDelete