4/7/11

F: Farmers' Markets

F is for...... 


wait for it....


Farmers' Markets!


Farmers' Market in Rockville, MD
By Tammy Farrugia (Own work) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons


It's almost time. Howard County Farmer's Markets open the first week in May! Last year, there were five sites across the county. 


I like going to the farmers' markets, even though it requires some planning - weekends are often too busy, and weekdays the hours are short. But I like talking to the vendors at the market - they always have ideas for what I can do with the produce, they're happy to give me samples, etc. 


I also like the opportunity of knowing where my food comes from. And eating seasonally, the food tends to taste better.


Especially the big baskets of fruit.


In addition to the places listed in the link above, check out two other locations for farm-fresh produce: Gorman Farm in Laurel, which has a farm stand open 5 days a week starting in May, and Neu-Valley in Elkridge, which should begin advertising produce in the spring (most, but not all, of their produce is from Maryland - if in doubt, ask).


And of course, you can always check to see if there's space left in one of the area's CSAs.


F is for Farmers' Markets, and Farm Fresh Food in the HoCo.



------

This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. (hocofood@@@) Click on The Link for more info and other participating blogs!

2 comments:

  1. I love farmers markets and farm stands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Farmer's Markets, but I get to so few. I'm super jealous that I don't live in Maryland in May. :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    Marie at the Cheetah

    ReplyDelete