4/8/11

G: Grandfather's Garden Center

G is for Grandfather's Garden Center.


I don't garden, really. But I am in the market for a bird bath, and I know at least one place I'll look. This place.


As for the gardening... well... it's kinder for the plants if I don't.


Grandfather's is located near where I grew up, at the intersection of High Tor Hill and Phelps Luck Drive. We used to walk past it on the way to Palace 9 for a movie. 


When I was a kid, I picked out plants for a science experiment there.


By Sanjay Acharya (Own work) [CC-BY-SA-3.0 (www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0) or GFDL (www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html)], via Wikimedia Commons


Pink plants. I was sold. (I was a girly-girl, what can I say?)


It was a cool science fair project - as a general summary, I watered plants with water and coffee, and measured to see if the caffeine in coffee stunted the plants growth (spoiler: it did). Of course, some logical controls were missing, if I recall correctly... Sanka or tea, for example. And I could have tried cola as well. And cold brewed coffee vs. drip vs. percolated....


...this is what grad school has done to me.


But that science fair project - maybe 18 years ago now? - is something I think about each time I drive past there. Grandfather's has been around forever, and offers landscaping services as well. 


G is for Grandfathers' Garden Center, the go-to gardening place that's served HoCo for years.



------

This post is part of the A to Z Blogging Challenge. (hocoblogs@@@) Click on The Link for more info and other participating blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment