12/20/10

Be Jolly By Golly Blogfest

A holiday post inspired by Erinn at Something Else to Distract Me.  Blogfest brought to you by Unedited and Through the Looking Glass!


The Rules:

  1. Blog Post to be posted on December 20th (whatever time you desire)
  2. Show pictures of your decorations, holiday lights & Christmas tree!
  3. Share your favorite treat (Recipe included, chance for others to steal the yumminess!)
  4. Share your favorite drink (Recipe included, chance for others to steal the alcohol – or non)
  5. Last but not least… visit others!!! Take part in their holiday cheer!



First of all, let me just say that this post was a rude reminder that it is, in fact, December 20th.  That aside, AWESOME idea!  I wish I had taken pictures during bakefest a few weeks ago!  


Decorations happen in two stages: home and work.  This year, work decorations were relatively simple.  Door decorations.  A little candy cane wire around the bulletin board.





But what really makes the holidays in the lab is the fine music selection, a sampling of the finest holiday albums on sale outside Lexington Market.  


I make no promises as to how legit this Market Enterprise is.
I can only say that I didn't buy the CDs. I just listen to them.
Yes.  That is James Brown.
Home decorations are very low-key.  Matt is not a decorations guy, although he does have some beautiful and/or crafty ornaments.  Our lack of a tree is something we've 'discussed' several times.  A few years ago, he got this tree:
Close enough?


I didn't get around to lights this year, or even a wreath, despite some planning. Maybe we'll do a real Christmas when we have more space and more time.


He did get me some beautiful flowers, which have cheered up the kitchen for almost two weeks.  Impressive! (and very thoughtful)


Pretty roses.  :)
We had a holiday potluck this year, which ended up being mostly dessert foods (or as Joe said, "Cakes, Cookies, and Pies").  This might sound like a good idea.  And it was, although I should have exercised a little more restraint.  


A shot of the table at the Holiday potluck. Can you spot the healthy choices?
What about here?  Yes, this was lunch.  And half of dinner.
Due to the craziness of the holiday, I didn't actually bake for the potluck.  But I did find a new sugar cookie recipe this year that I really liked.  The hint of orange was a nice touch.  Substitutions: replaced the powdered sugar with regular sugar, because I didn't have any; added a few tablespoons of fresh OJ into the dough.  They really didn't need any icing when they were done.


I haven't seen any fabulous holiday drink recipes this year, but I will share one that I want to try.  Real Eggnog.  From scratch.  Not the carton.  I'll drink it after bagel run on Saturday morning.  If I can hang with the fast kids until 5, I deserve it.  Mmm, protein-replenishing!


If you make a BlogFest post, link it in the comments below!


Happy Holidays from SwimWriteRun. :)

19 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the Charlie Brown Tree. Awesome. Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also love the Charlie Brown tree. Saw one last week and wanted it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling of having Christmas treats as breakfast, lunch and dinner :-s

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny that everyone seems to love the Charlie Brown tree.

    As the mother of the guy who bought the Charlie Brown tree, I have to say that his avoidance of the traditional tree is a small price to pay for those beautiful roses and his heart of gold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd give my tree up for a Charlie Brown tree any day! Great pics. Have a happy holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Erinn/Chris -- Thanks!

    @ Vanessa -- Yeah... we raided the leftovers today for lunch. :D

    @ RK -- Absolutely agreed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the most fantastic Charlie Brown Christmas tree! Don't you just love holiday music album covers?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm gathering that people like sugar cookies up at the top of the world. A little shortbread is traditional in Oz but not many people bother with biscuits (cookies). Yours look awesome! And I like the low-key look! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Candyland - thanks, you too!

    @ Charlie - Thanks! I will have to let Matt know that the tree is so popular :)

    @ L'Aussie - Yum, shortbread! I used to do several complicated cookies each year, but lately I'm going back to the easy 'classics'. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the cutest tree I think I've ever seen! I love it.

    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh WOW, I loveloveLOVE your little tree with the big red ornament! So very Charlie Brown Christmasy. I had to laugh at your "dinner." Sugar and chocolate--can't go wrong there! Ok, I will do the linky thing:
    Artzicarol Ramblings

    Merry Christmas, and nice to meetcha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet tree. :D And your man buying you those flowers - well that's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the tiny tree with the one red ornament! :) And those roses - *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  14. The flowers are so gorgeous! That tree is really cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that tree from a few years ago! It looks like it belongs in Whoville! So perfect. It's great that you decorate at work as well. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a Charlie Brown tree. How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A dessert potluck sounds good to me ;)

    Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Charlie Brown trees are great! I want one and kept hinting every time we saw one while we were shopping-- maybe for Christmas...and real eggnog with real alcohol is the also delicious.

    Be Jolly by Golly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A Charlie Brown tree, a nice table, and flowers are perfect for the holidays!

    Happy Christmas to you and your family.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete