|Yeah... it is cold out there.|
It's all about the motivation.
That, and I wanted to test out my shiny new New Balance jacket. I was kind of toasty once we hit mile 3.
That having been said, I've picked three major goals to carry me through the year:
I. PR on a half marathon, shooting for sub-1:45:00.
- Why: I really think I can do this. I ran just-barely-sub-eights at the Army 10-miler, and that was with tired legs. All I have to do is the same for three more miles. Plus, my first attempt will be at National, which is also fairly flat.
- How: Mostly, I'm just going to try and keep up with team Duzy, and anyone else who usually dusts me on the long runs. If that doesn't work, I will add some speed/track workouts before my second try.
- When: National Half/Marathon is March 26, 2011.
II. Complete the 4- or 5-mile distance at Swim For Life.
- Why: I did 4.4 in the Bay last June, and it was a perfect day. I'd like to try a similar distance in a river, where the current and chop will be different. This is a small and very laid-back event, and the proceeds go to a great cause. My focus will be on completion, not speed.
- How: Attend masters' consistently 2-3x/week through March, and then gradually add long swims on Monday mornings (working up from 2 miles)
- When: The 2011 date has not been released, but probably sometime in July.
III. Run my second marathon.
- Why: Baltimore Marathon was a great race, partly because of the time but mostly because it was just fun. I'm trying to adjust my expectations because I know there will never be another First Marathon... but I'd like to try another, working more consistently on my training plan to see if I can get the same result.
- How: Maintain a 20-25 miles/week base through May, and then begin building up for three to four long runs (18-21 miles each). PS: come keep me company. Plz?
- When: The Marine Corps Marathon on Oct 30, 2011. If I can get in. Don't worry, I have a backup.
Of course, there will be other events. Here's my current race calendar:
|Shoe Donation after Warrior Dash 2010. |
Tough Mudder will be messier.
What will you be training for in 2011? Any suggestions? Tell me in the comments below!