1/4/11

Almost-New Spin Bikes and the Tuesday Run.

I finally made it to a Tuesday "brick" this morning - a combination spin/run.  For the past few months, I've only been running.  This meant I got to try the "new" spin bikes at the Columbia Athletic Club*. (They went in about 8 weeks ago, so they're sorta new.) (hocoblogs@@@)


What makes them different?  Well, the bike is different - it's chain driven with a 'redesigned' flywheel versus the old ones, which I believe were belt/flywheel.  I didn't really think this would make a difference, but I noticed some feedback once I was at about 50% resistance.  I also felt the resistance much more on the upstroke.  Our instructor confirmed that this was probably because of the chain.  


Not a huge deal, just different.  


I also found the seat less comfortable, but I liked the handlebar setup and the placement for the water bottle.  I have a feeling that the ride will be more comfortable as I figure out the settings.


The biggest change, however, is The Green Revolution system, which harnesses the energy generated during the workout and cycles it back into the club's electrical grid.  Pretty cool.  For a far better explanation of this process and the meaning of watt-hours, check out this post on Tri Jeff Tri.


For those of us who don't focus on how the watt-hours work, we simply end up with a total number at the end of class.  I had the lowest number of our group, but sweat was pouring off of me by the end of the workout and I'm pretty sure I couldn't push any harder.  So I'm not going to sweat it. (Ha.. ha... yeah, sorry about that.)


After spin, we took off for a five mile run.  Cold gear, fleecy hat, and gloves were present.  So were the hills.  Running in Columbia is great training.  


I was tired from spin, but the run felt alright.  And I got dusted in the last 1-2 miles.  I actually don't mind this... my goal is to get faster, and the only way I'm going to do that is by running with people who are faster than me.  Hopefully I can stay with the crew a little longer next week.


Now, thawed, caffeinated, and ready for work, I'm glad I pried myself out of bed this morning.  Have a great day!






*Full Disclosure: I train lifeguards and occasionally coach Masters' Swimming for Columbia Association Aquatics.

5 comments:

  1. YOU got dusted? I'd hate to think what we should call what happened to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah. You were right there with me. ;) Next week will be better! Maybe we can try reversing the loop.

    I do think this route is better than the mall loop. All I remember from the mall loop is wind. Lots of wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like this loop. But it feels much shorter when we do it the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I expect to see you at the Savageman 30?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jeff - we shall see!

    @ HoCoRising - Nope, should be out of town unless work interferes. Course looks great though. What's your marathon this year?

    ReplyDelete