1/5/11

9 steps to Chicken Rice.

I've already mentioned this, but sometimes I need to de-stress.

I have a few strategies for this.  Write.  Make lists.  Go to the gym.  Come home and cook.

It's satisfying to come home at the end of a long day and make a meal.  The repetitive chopping.  The pleasure at making something new.  The simple joy of actually clearing some space on the shelves in the fridge.

No idea what I mean?  Well... here's a guide.

Step 1: Heat a few squirts of canola oil and a dash of sesame oil in a pan of your choice (make sure it has a lid).  I used my superly great hard-anodized pan that I got for Christmas.

Tip: heat pan, then add and heat oil.  Make sure to remove the meat from the fridge ahead of cooking, so you're not adding cold meat to the hot pan.
Step 2: Establish that superly is in fact a legitimate adverb. I don't care what the internet says.

Step 3: Trim up chicken thighs and season liberally with salt, pepper, and Chinese five spice powder. Carefully place in hot oil.



Step 4:  When chicken releases (4-5 minutes, or brown on one side), flip and brown the other side. In the mean time, assemble other ingredients.

You need: 2 cups of rice, more sesame oil, and leftover chicken stock (or water, but add salt)
You also need baby carrots for snacking and an ice cold Dogfishhead 60-minute IPA.  

Trust me on this one.
Step 5: Remove chicken from pan (it's ok if there are bits stuck) and add another teaspoon or two of sesame oil.  At this point, you could jack the heat, add aromatics - chopped onion, garlic, and ginger would be nice - and sauté until tender.  I didn't have any of those things.  Either way, add rice and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, until the rice is coated in all that flavor and has a nice sheen.  

Step 6: Add 1 cup of broth and stir to remove all the good bits from the bottom of the pan.  Then add the remaining 3 cups of broth (I used a combo of broth and water because I only had about 2c of leftover broth), stir, and bring to a boil.



Step 7: Add the chicken and any juices back into the pan.  Cover and cook on low approximately 25 minutes (keep a low simmer), or until the liquid is evaporated.  I have yet to master this without peeking once.  So if you peek, I forgive you.  


You could also throw chopped and/or frozen veg on top in the last few minutes of cooking to make a more complete meal.


Step 7.5: Keep eating the carrots.  Or make a salad.  Or both.  Veggies are good!

Step 8: Remove from the heat (keep covered) and let stand another five to ten minutes.

Step 9: Uncover, fluff the rice, and serve with reduced sodium soy sauce and Srichacha (chili sauce).  

There was more chicken... we just sorta jumped in before I took the picture. :)
Best consumed with back episodes of The Office or another favorite comedy.

1 comment:

  1. I like making lists--and crossing things off them. :) And that chicken sounds pretty yummy and easy! I'm into easy. Gonna copy this one down...

    ReplyDelete